One of the things T and I have always wanted to do together is to cook! I suggested to bake rainbow cupcakes (I have always wanted to bake) and we went on with it.
Here's the recipe we followed:
- 1/2 cup (125g) caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (125g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 bottles food colouring, red, blue, yellow, green
Preparation :30min › Cook: 15min › Ready in: 45min
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with patty cups.2. Cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs in one at a time adding a little flour in each time until the ingredients are mixed.
4. Add the vanilla essence and mix. Then add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time mixing after each addition.
5. Divide the mixture into 6 bowls:
In Bowl 1 - Add half a cap of red colouring
In Bowl 2 - Add half a cap of red and half a cap of yellow
In Bowl 3 - Add half a cap of yellow
In Bowl 4 - Add half a cap of green
In Bowl 5 - Add half a cap of blue
In Bowl 6 - Add half a cap of blue and half a cap of red
6. Mix colouring into each mixture after adding.
7. Divide the purple mixture between the 12 cases. Repeat with the other mixtures in this order: Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
Our cupcake tray only had six holes so we divided all the measurements for the ingredients by two!
To be honest, these were our second batch of cupcakes. The colours of the cupcakes in the first batch were not as nice and the cupcakes were too small. We made the mistake of not putting enough mixture into the liners. You can tell we went slightly overboard with filling the liners this time to make sure. Check out the huge cupcake on the bottom left!
Surprisingly, the colours turned out very vibrant and the cupcakes tasted really good!
That's it for today! :)